Sunday, December 28, 2008

Delay time

This is somewhat late, but better late than never.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

You may be wondering, how was Maria (pronounced Ma-rye-a) Island? It was absolutely spectacular! The views and just the feeling of doing some hard work for once just felt bloody amazing doing some real camping for once (read: carrying all my gear & food). However, there were some really stooopid things that I did. First off, wrong shoes (two sizes too small, works for short distances); second, didn't tape my feet; thirdly, carried way too much gear. Now then, where I really messed up. I trusted some peoples information too much, why? Because I ended up carrying *drum roll* 13.75L of water. In total I was carrying around 30+kg. It killed me. But I did it, which I'm very proud of I must add. I carried it all for about 14km. Not too sure of how long it took, but I think it went smoothly. The camping spot I chose wasn't too special, but it wasn't too shabby mind you. Hidden under some trees for shade during the day and some protection from the weather. I had some view of the bay that I was located in, which was pretty nice especially in the mornings with a sun rise to waken you up. Happy days. Happy happy days.

Day 2 was pretty intense. Ended up hiking around 30km from the campsite to a place called
Haunted Bay and then later to another important spot called Robey's Farm, which was a complete freaking waste of time. Haunted Bay on the other hand, holy Hell. It was near perfect in all ways. It really reminded me off the Swedish archipeligo rock formations some how, just different in small details: colour, not as much moss, and rougher. I found a small niche which was bloody amazing. If I had my old army bivy sack, I could slept there without any problems what so ever. Ok, some problems. Windy as shit, and the biggest problem of them all. If it rained really hard, there's a good chance that the water run off would of swept me into sea resulting in a lot of trouble. While I was in the bay, I saw quite a few penguins in the holes. Smelled pretty funky, but awesome to see them in their natural habitat nontheless. There were also quite a lot of small lizards running the place, that were really cute. I almost stepped on a few because they were eveywhere.

On my 3rd day there I packed my tent and started walking towards where I started my trip. Via the inland track this time, so that I could do the Mt. Maria walk as well. Now, lets not forget what a dumb ass I was, as I previously stated. By this point, I was more or less walking on a pair of bloody stumps. I might as well of just crawled all of the place by this point of time. Now, please don't think that I'm over exagerating, because, I'm not. The small toe on my left foot currently is missing about 2mm of skin on the front/inside tip. Not a pretty picture. The skin got loose, folded in on itself and was very uncomfortable. Very very uncomfortable. I didn't really know all this, I just knew that there was a lot of discomfort on my feet. Anyway. I climb the mountain, and it was one hell of climb. It was pretty technical towards the top, but it was a lot of fun. Heaps of fun climbing to the top while jamming to some awesome tunes. The top was great, to say the least.

(I just realized that I've been typing for some rediculous amount of time now, and I'm pretty tired, so I'm thinking about just whizzing through the rest of this.)

So, finished the mountain, cruised down to the wharf (
Darlington), pitched my tent, hung out with some people I met during a small bit of the hike, and then went to bed, tired as hell.

Next day (
today) I get a ride from Triabunna to Hobart from one of the coolest women, ever. She's got a ticket for just about everything to do with the outdoors. Vertical rescues, film making, survival course, instructor for various things, and now she's a guide. She's guided groups in Antartica and heaps of other places. She rules!

Anyway, back in Hobart now, the time is about 05.30, and I'm bloody tired. So on that note, I'm going to hit the sack.

Before I go though, I want to inform you that at this point, I can't upload any photos because the computer can't process the RAW images (
I think).

Aight guys, see ya in a bit, eh?

No comments: