Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pigeons on the dance floor - and an explanation

First off, an explanation for my previous blog.

I spelt olagligt wrong now when I read it, and I actually meant to spell pulled with an ü. What did I try to say about that post? It was about how languages are losing some odd sort of battle to English. And it isn't just Swedish, it's even in German, and several others which I've found out about. As if it's becoming more and more fashionable to use random English words in your everyday speak that are pure and simple words which you are taught in kindergarten. Now then, I do not think that illegal is a word that you're taught in kindergarten (unless it's a fictional lawyer based society - of course). I digress. It's a simple word either which way you cut it, and the swedish contains a pretty good translation of that word for you, right? But, in a very big news agent, they replace a swedish word for an english one? WHY?! What is the purpose? Because English is the modern day business language? Because the writer had been overseas for 1 month, and lost that word out of his vocabulary? Because Swedes don't dub english movies/TV shows? Wrong, you're going to have to try harder than that. A lot harder.

Or maybe it's simply the way we're moving forward. Something I must admit I find worrying. Why? Because, I believe it to be very important to keep one's language pure. Why? Becuase it is the language of your country, and is part of your culture. Keep it. And also, it's not as if the form of communication is taking leaps and bounds every year now is it? Not as if there's not enough words in the respective countries language to articulate what one wants to say.

And now I'm going to contradict myself. There are words in certain languages that cannot be translated, because that words simply doesn't exist. But that doesn't happen very often. In every language there is a substitute word which has a very strong resemblence to the word that is trying to be translated. And then there's swearing. Swearing in Swedish is a joke. Really, it is. I find is so pathetic it's not even funny. Take o djävlar for example. Oh devil is the direct translation of it. Now then, this is not a swear word in my books. Now then, it would boil down to the cultural differences and you would probably have to look back in the countries history and see what how serious it was to be devil back then (I have a funny feeling that no country would actually consider being called a devil a compliment mind you). But you get the general giff of what I'm trying to say in regards to that. And swearing in Swedish is very timid and feminin. Yes, I said feminin. And so when the younger generations say something like the f-word, or something of similar nature, I wouldn't blame them. Because swedish doesn't have an exact translation in that sense. You could say knulla, but that word is used more in the context of would like to f***. I think I've made my point.

And so, to what I said, when I meet say, a Swede, who has been traveling for about 2-3 months, and thei using more English words in their Swedish than what I am, (since English is my mother tongue) I find that pretty mind blowing. I really do.

I guess I get so frustrated over it is because I don't have any one culture/home country to fall back, which is no down side at all. I just believe that no nation should, I almost want to say degrade itself, but that isn't what I want to say.

So, to Sebbe and Mik Rougnar (I know I've heard that name somewhere, just can't remember where), I hope that explains what I was trying to say.
_______________________

And as for the pigeons on the dance floor. I went to a dance club last night (20 AUD entrance!!!) for a girls birthday party, and when we got down to the dance floor, the music was pumping and it was absolutely amazing music. Original beats, great DJ, and just awesome in every possible way (except for the price of drinks, only bought two). Anyway, when you were watching every body bobbing their heads to the beat, they all looked like pigeons walking (I most likely looked exactly the same). It was just hilarious to watch. Yeah. Great times.

That was all I have to say about that night. My knees hurt, a lot. Getting too old for that kind of stuff. And I had a slight case of tinitus this morning which put me off too. Hmmm...yeah.

And on another random topic, just realized something. My up and coming trip to Sweden will most likely be the econmical down fall of my very being. I was totally in the Australian/New Zealand how-often-I'll-get-paid mind set when I applied for my old job at Ericsson. What does that translate to? It means that I was expecting to be getting paid every week starting from the day I start. But no, if I start in August, I won't get paid until September, LATE September. I love you Sweden....fuck.

Here you go.

2 comments:

Sebbe =) said...

swedish swearing ftw!! =)

Mik Rougnar said...

-And swearing in Swedish is very timid and feminin,-???
I´ll horse-laughed my pork-lip of when I read that.
You haven´t heard nothing about
Swed-swearing yet.
I´ll teach you some hair-raising
expressions if you dare to come to Sweden :-)