Saturday, May 9, 2009

All I wanted was to go on a walk...

I decided to go out for a walk down to the beach to get some fresh air, nothing special. However, when I was walking up the street I saw something that was a bit odd, but not too uncommon: crap on the street. It looked like a small pile of clothes and small bag. But something seemed wrong. While I kept on staring at it, I couldn't help noticing some skin color and what seemed like white hair. The pile moved. I start running as fast as I can to the pile, and notice when I got a bit closer that it's an old lady that fell over and was face in the ground. I didn't want to touch her because she could of broken something. And she definitley did break her skin some where, pretty bad because I was seeing quite a bit of blood running down the cracks on the pavement. I asked her she wanted me to lift her up and obviously she said yes. I carefully lifted her up and got her on her own two feet, and while I was doing so I couldn't help notice the blood that started dropping on the ground from her head as I did so. Not cool. I look at her face and there's a fair bit of blood covering her face. I quickly decide to take her to my flat becuase it wasn't that far away (I had left my phone at home). I grabbed all of her stuff and started walking to my flat. Right then a woman from the building right next to the accident walks out and sees what's going on. She asks if she can be of any assistance, I ask her if she has anything to dress the wounds and says she has something even better. Her flatmate is studying to become a doctor. So while she runs up to get her friend, I decide to see how bad the damage was. I caught a quick glance of it, but didn't think too much about it. All I could see was a deep but not too big of gash above her right eye, I grab her hand and push it against her forehead with it until the woman comes back. The doctor to be pops out the door and then quickly reacts to the blood and puts a towel against the womans forehead and applies some pressure, and so bloody calmly asks her friend to call emergency services. The way she said was bloody amazing. The only time I've seen someone react that calmly was when I was in Tutukaka and Big C got decompression sickness. Like a F-ing pro!

I digress. Since I had some blood on my hands and jumper, and the woman was being taken care of I walked back to my flat to get cleaned up and possilby give the walk another attempt.

Got back and noticed that I had blood on my hands and feet (since I was wearing my thongs), and while I was cleaning up I heard the ambulance around the corner. Washed up and headed back out for another attempt and hoping nothing bad would happen this time. While I was walking close to where the accident happened, I saw the two oringinal girls who helped standing by, with two ambulance drivers attending to the old woman. I took a detour and walked down to the beach, which was nice and carefree (without my phone, I just don't learn).

In retrospect I think there were somethings I could of done better: had my phone, used my T-shirt as a rag, checked on the wound sooner, and asked her if she had any other pains in her body before I lifted her up. But besides those, I think it went smoothly. Oh, asked her if she had anything I should be worried about since I had gotten her blood on me....shit.

Oh well. It was an interesting experience no matter how you look at it since that is what I want to be doing. Helping people like that....hmmm.

And I'll be landing in Sweden on the August 1st, 2009, and be leaving the country September 6th. I start working on the 3rd of August and I reckon I'll try to work as much over time as possible, so if you want to meet up while I'm there, well...it'll have to be around the weekends, and/or before or after my shift (I'll be having both evening and morning shifts).

Good night.

PS. I don't have my old Swedish number anymore and I think I'll use my Ericsson phone that I'll 99.9% get off them. So yeah, you'l have to wait to contact me unless it's via email or Facebook.

No comments: