Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cherry popping - I mean picking, I mean...whatever.

Great news guys, I have a job!

Here's how it all happened:

Tried hitchhiking from Hobart to Strahan, and my host had dropped me off at New Norfolk, awesome! I waited about 2-3 hours I think, I stopped carring. After one car stopping for me, and then pulling off and two other cars with the passengers screaming hateful things at me (not too sure what, cause I was listening to my iPod) an old Englishman finally picked me up to Gretchin. Since I had started late in the day, he dropped me off at public toilet/public grill spot. So if I had bad luck, I would have somewhere to rest and cook food. I waited there for about another 2-3 hours, figuring out where I could sleep in peace without being harressed by the locals (read: robbed, raped, murdered, or the latter). Finally, this guy who had been driving through a couple of times finally picked me up. Ends up him being a farmer and had to run some errands in the area. He drops me off in his pasture by a lake with some cool stuff around. I asked him about work around the area and he said he could maybe hook me up. Next day he picks me up and we go to a cherry orchard. First one, no go. Second one (owned by the first one) tells me to start working there and then. I do.

After chatting with one of the managers, I tell her that I have a fork lift license, and they see that as an oppurtunity. I use littly forklift on soil (hard as hell), picked cherries the first and second day, and now, I'm driving their tractor! So no more cherry picking I think, I'll be driving their tractor/forklift all day (22 AUD/hr!!!). I'm camping next to the river right by the orchard, I get to use the caravan for cooking/eating/resting/storing food. They just gave me my own barbeque today, and getting a fishing rod soon too apparently (trout in the river). Oh, and I have a semi-automatic shotgun at my disposal. Very random.

Here are the PROs and CONs

PROs
No rent
Good consistant money
Great people
Good sleeping spot
Shotgun for free usage
No cellphone coverage

CONs
Bird scarers start at about 06.00 in the morning, and stop around 21.30 at night
1 hrs walk into town
Have to climb through a barbwire fence, and over an electric one
No cellphone coverage
The PROs heavily outweigh the CONs, and I'm happy!

I'll hopefully be here for about 3 months or more, and saving up some good money.

These people are the nicest people ever, always making sure I'm alright, they have me food today and the other days I've been working. This is how people should act - everywhere. They look after their own, and everyone is happy. Awesomeness in small township!

The internet here is a mere theory, not a real thing, so uploading photos isn't going to be happening anytime soon. Until then, have a good one!

No comments: