Monday, November 19, 2007

Report from Whangarei

Hey guys! So much has happened since I last posted. I've met a bunch of people, and I'm now a qualified PADI Rescue Diver! Sweet!

I don't even know where to begin! Okay, how about my drive up here to start with.

Before I left Auckland, I got my backpack returned to me, fully repaired (excellent!) along with a nice 40L duffle bag as compensation for my troubles. When I left the drive way of my host there was a slight drizzle going on, and it just kept raining on and off for the next couple of hours, and got heavier too. But when I started getting closer to Tutukaka, and driving through the most winding roads ever (I felt like a rally driver in TM). And before I was at the apex of the hill over looking Tutukaka, it stops raining, and my eyes are met with one of the greatest views ever man! Seriously, you see a bit of the bay and all the surroundings, and wow, it was just heart warming guys, seriously. You have to come and check this place out!

The second I got down the harbour, I started to look for the dive shop and found it in a jiffy. Went in, introduced myself, and got everything sorted. Next stop: to find where I was going to crash. Found it without any bigger problems, and I was greeted by another diver who I was going to share the dorm with. He's a Kiwi who's pretty laid back (like all the other Kiwi's down here). After having settled in and took a small hike around the area, I thought it was time for some food. I ended up going to the most expensive place here! So for a 100 SEK, I got a steak burger (like a normal burger, but a real steak instead) and a beer. Not worth it in the long run to tell you the truth.

The next day I got to go and do some diving to get my dives up, which was a lot of fun. The visibility wasn't the greatest, but it was nice either which way. We entered Rico cave aswell, which is the world's largest bubble cave (with amazing acoustics, apparently there have been concerts in there!)

Anyway, there was a woman there who was also in my dorm whom I had been sharing the dorm with, and she had a small panic attack, and I talked to her later on the boat to see what happened. Anyway, she thought that I was so nice, and that I reminded her of her son, so she gave me 20 NZD (about 100 SEK). Weirdest thing!

The next couple of days I got started my Rescue Diver course, which I finished today. The course was pretty tough I must admit, but a lot of fun! Like how to handle people who are panicing under water, above water, how to retrieve unconscious divers underwater, and a bunch of other skills.

Also during those couple of days I got to meet a really nice couple who treated me to dinner! It was awesome! I got to taste some NZ crayfish (looks like a lobster just minus the pinchers). It`s an aquired taste, but I`m sure I can get used to it :D They gave me their phone number and told me to call them when I was done with my Dive Master course. I`m pretty sure I will, they were really cool, and really nice.

Today is my day off, and tomorrow I`m going to start with my Dive Master course. Really excited!

I don`t really know what to write guys, there`s a lot happening, but things that you have to be here to fully understand and appreciate.

Oh yeah, and Tutukaka in itself is a bloody ghost town at night. There`s nothing here but tourists. All the locals live in surrounds bays, so the only people I get to hang out with are people at the camp or at the local pub (too expensive). And most people are only here for a day or two only, so it kind of feels like my life at high speed. What I mean by that is that I meet all these great people, and then they have to leave! I expected that, but still, a bit tough (don`t worry dad, I`ll manage!)

But here are some more photos and words/phrases that I`ve learned down here:

Words & Phrases
dear - to be expsenive (Fruits and veggies are pretty dear)
sweet as - cool (you caught that, sweet as!)
dairy - convience store (you can buy some milk at the dairy, but it`s a bit dear)
done as a dogs dinner - all sorted or all done

Photos




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TjabbA!!

Vad roligt att du trivs.
Det är kul att läsa om dina små påhitt, fortsätt att uppdatera.

Ha det bäst!

/Thomas