Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Different Planes

I thought that I had met just about every sort of traveler. I thought that I was a long term traveler. I am nothing in comparison. Or that's how I feel at least.

I have met a fair few long term travelers, which make me pale in comparison. People who have been travelling for:
1) 10 years - Lithuanian guy. Felt he was above everyone else, talked down to you, not cool. Impressive though was that he had to go back home to get a new passport a few times...why? Because the other one had too many visas in it, so he a needed a new one to accomodate the up coming ones.
2) 5.5 years - Canadian married couple. Don't want to die with regrets.
3) 4 years - Just met him tonight, don't know too much about him.
4) 25 months - Me.

I thought I was hardcore. I'm speachless. I take my hat off to these people, but only half way for the Lithuanian guy cause he was a bit full of himself.

Would I want to go there too. Yes...sort of. But I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far, and I need to get an education. If I still have the travel bug, then let's do it! Get out there and kick more ass than what I've already kicked.

What gives them this drive? Why do I lack it? Could it be because I've already travelled so much in my past? Don't know.

And I don't feel I should play so much on the whole "I'm Swedish-ish gig". I'm getting tired of it. Just having to repeat it, also, I'm not special because of it (which I thought I was before). The amount of people who are pure bred are pretty freaking rare now. And I mean rare. Just about everyone I've met are usually half something else.

I think I had an epiphany today.

I'm just human, living on this world, doing my thing, hanging out with other humans. Not, I'm a Swede, hanging with Aussies. Nah, bugger that.

Give it another couple of generations and I'm mighty sure that there'll be more mix blooded people around than ever thought before, which in turn could make our whole global society a bit more open and tolerant. The last part is probably a bit far fetched, but you can always hope, right?

Am I becoming a hippy? No. I'm just seeing the truth. Or my inturpretation of the current situation.

No comments: